Saturday 28 March 2009

Earth's darkest Hour ? March 28 2009 - 8.30-9.30pm

So many advertisements, so many inspired conversations, so many associated thoughts of optimism/hopelessness... How did one idea capture so many people's imagination ? I have not read much about this event in news, but am here to report my own story.

I had marked 'Earth Hour' in my calender alarm, and planned to switch off not just the lights but the mains switch to maximise the power shutoff . Despite dangers of stuff ending up rotting in my fridge, I hoped the insulation would help for atleast an hour.

And what happened ?

Went outside to a visit to the temple at 7pm, almost forgot all about it till the alarm sounded near the altar. I felt rather glad that we had remembered to switch off all the lights before we left home, so we were actually celebrating 'Earth Hour' in absentia..

Visited a friends place, then had dinner in a restaurant, celebrated the good news of my sister's birth to a baby boy, returned home tired, slept fitfully, and woke up next morning -
-- to find that the adjacent room was unusually warm- I had forgotten to switch off the electric iron after using it the previous evening !!

A misstep of one man's stupidity,
But a giant leap for humanity !

No comments: